Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ashleigh

I only have a few minutes but I wanted to post a paper Ashleigh wrote for her creative writing class, it is for her senior memory book. She has 6, I think, that she had to do but I love this one.

I AM FROM
I am from the Spice Girls, Hanson, and Backstreet Boys,
The Puzzle Place and Barney.
I am from long days at Carolina Beach
and short winter days in Marshall.
I am from the huge towering hills surrounding me;
From Barbie and Ken, Fisher Price Toys, and my Easy-Bake Oven.
I am from night lights and Lambchop,
From two stoplights and four gas stations,
Girl Scouts and seashell searching.
I am from Beanie Babies, Happy Meal Cheeseburgers and Granny's scrambled
eggs;
From hide-and-go-seek in the dark and hopscotch;
From playing dress-up and putting on Mommy's make-up.
I am from wooden sandboxes and inflatable pools;
From metal swing sets, and cut-up knees.
I am from Princess Diana and Alliyah's death;
From Polly Pockets and Furby's, milk carton-gingerbread houses, and clay pots.
I am from My Little Pony, The Fresh Prince, Are you afraid of the Dark?, Sister Sister, All That and The Little Mermaid.
I am from gymnastics and Parks and Rec. basketball;
From a close-knit family, being spoiled on holidays and the best birthdays ever.
I am from weekends at Granny's and days at my grandparents'.
From long, fun games of UNO with Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw,
and Connect four with my Daddy;
From "Spin the Bottle" and "Truth or Dare" and huge slumber parties.
I am from radios on bikes(when they were cool) and tape players;
From fanny packs, peel-off nail polish and light up tennis shoes.
And Aaron Carter, whom i was madly in "love" with.
I am from the time when boys had cooties
And when it was "cool" to have bangs right above your eye brows;
From long letters to Santa explaining that I was a good kid
and deserved a puppy or hamster every Christmas.
I am from going to Cool Springs Methodist Church every Sunday,
Guess? jeans, and stick on earrings.
From warm sunny days in the summer running through the sprinklers;
From cool fall evenings raking Granny's leaves into piles to jump into;
From rainy spring days looking out the window
wanting to go outside and jump into the puddles and from the short snowy
winter days
having massive snowball fights with my dad.
I am from Disney Movies, jelly shoes, and bead bracelets;
From when sandwiches tasted better
just because my Granny cut it into triangles for me.
I am from laughter and tears,
anger and sadness,
and from happiness.

I will try to maybe post some of the other ones, I just loved this one. I makes me cry everytime I read it.

So, where are you from?

2 comments:

melissa said...

AWwwwwwwww.........too cute!

ang said...

wow that is an awesome poem. You should laminate it and frame it.