Thursday, August 16, 2007

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

I have a child in college!!! I really can't believe it, how did I get to this place? Ashleigh and I went to the community college yesterday, sat through 4 hours of orientation (why can't they just let you sign up?) and then she signed up for her classes. That was a job, just getting the classes. Everytime you sign up for a class you have to make sure it doesn't overlap with another class you have just signed up for. But she is done, she goes back tomorrow to get her books, it was just way too busy in the bookstore yesterday with it being orientation day. She liked the idea of being able to pick the times for her classes but she still has classes in the morning which will be quite the culture shock for her come Monday morning. She is a big believer of sleeping in late. She wants to teach kindergarden. Ashleigh will attend the community college for 2 years, get her associates degree and then transfer to a 4 year university as a junior. The one thing we didn't realize was that she needs to decide now which 4 year school she wants to attend. Even though there are 23 (I think it's 23) Universities in Virginia that have agreements with the community colleges, they all have defferent requirements for addmission. She wanted to go to ODU or JMU but after finding out she would need 4 math classes for ODU and only 3 for JMU she decided on JMU. She will have to take 4 history classes for JMU versus 2 for ODU, but she hates math and doesn't mind history so JMU won out.
The wonderful thing about the community college is that as long as she keeps her GPA up whatever college in the state she applies to, she gets in. That is a wonderful thing. She is really excited but scared also. We had a great time together yesterday. Again, how and when did this happen to me?!

7 comments:

Dy said...

How did this happen? Um, I think you blinked. ;-)

What an exciting adventure she's embarking upon, though! WOW!!

Dy

Anniesue said...

I really can't believe it! I think we're the same age...how is that possible? Maybe I'm just in denial of some sort. But I think it's great...way to go, Ashleigh!!!

Bridget said...

Dy-You're right, I don't think I blinked that long either. This is an exciting part of her life.

Anniesue-I'm 38 and I'm not sure how any of this is possible.

melissa said...

Oh, how fun! Best of luck, Ashleigh.

Rebel said...

Congrats to Ashleigh, and I agree with Dy. You blinked.

Emily said...

Way to go, Ashleigh!! (and good luck Bridget ;) ).

Needleroozer said...

Wow! That is amazing. Congrats Ashleigh, and way to go Bridget for getting her this far!
And Bridget, I have something for you over at my blog. You may have to scroll down a bit, but check it out.
LB