Thursday, September 11, 2008

The End of Era...

I just found out that "For Better or For Worse" ended. For those of you who have never read it in the comics or have been unfortunate enough that your paper didn't carry it, it was started 29 years ago and the whole comic strip has been the life of the Pattersons. We have seen them have children, their children grow up and have their own children, the grandparents passed away and Ellie and John (the parents) grow old. It's not like other comics where the characters never age or move on, they have been part of our family. My parents, brother, grandparents and myself have been reading it for years. When Ellie had April we all waited through the whole pregnancy to find out what she was having and when April was born my Mom yelled upstairs to my Dad (who happened to be in the bathroom) "Ellie had a girl!!" Now, we aren't dilusional we know they aren't "real" but to us they have been family. I am devestated. Go on, go ahead and laugh I know it really is silly but I just can't help but be upset and sad. I called my Mom and she got upset. She got on the internet to find out if Lynn Johnston had maybe died because other than something horrible happening why in the world would she leave us like that. Mom did find out that she had gone through a divorce and is sort of retiring. She will still be doing the strip but she is starting back at the begining again and writing it over, in her words "she is a better story teller now", I thought she was great before. How many other "comics" could touch you and pull into their world like that? I do feel kind of silly but on the other hand this was something that my Mom and I have shared since probably middle school. I think I am entering a deep state of depression, pray for me.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

From what I hear, the reason the author ended the strip is sad, too. It was loosely based on her husband who was a dentist, like the father in the strip, and he (her real husband in real life) recently left her so she decided to retire the strip. :o(

Liz Harrell said...

Whoa, that makes me really sad too! I used to read those with my dad on Sundays.

Quirky Cottage Owners said...

I raised my family while the Patterson's were raising theirs. My friend and I would talk about the strip as if they were real people because to us they were. They confirmed that raising kids had its ups and downs, that even the most stressful time can have its humor, too.
I was saddened to hear a year ago that she was going to retire. I can I start my day without reading the strip? It's not the same without them.
Rita