Monday, November 28, 2005

The North Pole

Well, as Ashleigh said today "It looks like the North Pole threw up in here." As you may be able to figure out I started to decorate for Christmas today. I love Christmas. I love the shopping, the decorations, the good spirits people seem to have at this time of the year more than any other. I start to decorate as soon as my family will let me. There are Snowmen and Gingerbread men from one end of the house to the other. Up until last year we have always had a real tree, but when Rusty had his knee replacement on December 6 last year that kind of put a damper on the tree hunt, so we used a fake tree. I grew up with a fake tree except for maybe the last 2 years I was living at home, so a fake tree doesn't bother me at all. I love the smell of the real tree but I hate the needles, the ones that lay on the carpet just waiting to stab you in the foot and the ones on the tree that poke you as you try to decorate it. With a fake tree you don't have the pain and I just burn a candle so you still get the smell. Rusty grew up always having real trees so last year was a new experience for him. So this year I was a little worried that he might put up a fight over the tree, but I think he liked it better than he might admit. He brought up the subject and had no problem with using our last year tree. Ashleigh and I pulled it up from the basement today and I spent 3 hours putting that together, but now I get to enjoy it longer. Another advantage of the fake tree. Rusty and Wayne were at the Redskins game so we waited for them to get home to decorate it, I did put the lights on though. It's one of our family traditions about the tree, the kids and I put the ornaments on the tree and Rusty unwraps them, makes sure they have hangers and then hands them out. There are a couple that he hangs up, his football ones, his hunting ones, his Buzz lightyear (yes his Buzz, he loves that movie) and the one we got our first Christmas together. He always has insisted on hanging that one. We have Christmas music playing and it's just alot of fun.
Well, I am headed to bed, I will be back tomorrow.
Bridget

1 comment:

Thom said...

Hey, welcome back! Glad to hear things are coming back together for y'all as a family.Good for you!

I simply cannot believe that it is the Christmas season, already! How can that be???? I am SOOO not ready, yet!

Sounds like you guys have a nice tradition going there with the tree decorating. That's good family time and I know the kids will always have fond memories of it. I can still remember what a HUGE deal it was when it came time to decorate the tree at our house. :0)